Friday, November 24, 2017
Panel to review new
base for monument
LITTLE ROCK -- A subcommittee of the Arts and Grounds Commission at the Arkansas state Capitol will meet next month to review new plans for a Ten Commandments monument.
The previous set of commandments was knocked over less than 24 hours after it went up in June.
At the open meeting, the panel will review changes proposed for the monument's base. If the changes are approved, a public hearing would follow at a later date.
A judge last week found that the man accused of knocking over the replica of Moses' tablets was not competent to stand trial. Michael Tate Reed of Van Buren accused of knocking over Oklahoma's Ten Commandments monument in 2014. Prosecutors decided not to pursue criminal charges.
A second Ten Commandments monument for Arkansas has already been built.
during fatal shooting
released from hospital
BATESVILLE -- An Arkansas police officer who was wounded in a shooting that left a man dead earlier this month has been released from a hospital.
KAIT-TV reports that Batesville Officer Michael Dickinson was released Wednesday after being wounded in the Nov. 3 shooting that left 44-year-old Marvin Stair dead.
Details of Dickinson's injuries haven't been released, but Police Chief Alan Cockrell said he faces a lengthy recovery and it isn't known if he'll be able to return to police work.
Arkansas State Police have said Dickinson was investigating a domestic disturbance when he was shot by Stair. State police say Dickinson returned fire and called for help and other officers fatally shot when Stair he air when pointed a rifle at them as they arrived.
State police are investigating the shooting.
acquitted on sex
charges files lawsuit
LITTLE ROCK -- A Little Rock dentist who was acquitted of sexually assaulting a female patient has filed a federal lawsuit against the girl, her mother and five Little Rock police officers and an Arkansas State Police investigator.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday by Jose Turcios alleges a conspiracy against Turcios and malicious prosecution. No attorneys are listed for the defendants.
The lawsuit asks for unspecified compensatory, punitive, economic and non-economic monetary damages, in addition to attorney fees.
Turcios was charged after the then-15-year-old girl alleged he sexually assaulted her during a dental appointment in 2015.
He was found not guilty of the charge in April 2016.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that the girl's mother has filed a civil lawsuit against Turcios.
State Desk on 11/24/2017
ArkansasOnline.com for only
$0.99 for the first month.