Sunday, August 13, 2017
In our home we have a cat named Jewel. Jewel was rescued, as a kitten, from a drainpipe by my wife. The story of that adventure is long and complicated and one I will save for another time. Jewel is a valued member of our household. I should say Jewel is valued much more by my wife and daughters than by me.
Jewel and I have formed the type of relationship where we tolerate each other. I don't get in her way and she only accosts me when there is no one else in the house to feed her. My wife and daughters love Jewel and she plays that for all it is worth. Jewel sleeps where she wants to and has been known to wake up the entire house if her food bowl becomes empty overnight.
Needless to say I am not a "cat person." But then again I wouldn't call myself a "dog person" either. I do find the interaction between pet and owner fascinating. I read an article the other day on Hunch.com that talked about a survey comparing so-called dog and cat people. They surveyed 200,000 people, and below are some of the results:
• The survey found that cat owners are more introverted while dog owners are more outgoing.
• Both dog and cat owners are more likely to have four-year college degrees. But cat owners have more graduate degrees.
• Cat owners were more likely to live alone than dog owners and twice as likely to live in an apartment.
• Dog people tend to be more conservative than cat people.
• Cat owners are more likely to be atheists.
• People that own dogs tend to have a better sense of humor than cat owners.
• Cat people's favorite Beatle is George Harrison while dog owners prefer Paul McCartney.
This survey has helped me better understand Jewel and maybe this will bring us closer. If having Jewel in our home can help my daughters get graduate degrees then I am all for it. Who knew that having a weird cat in your house was some kind of study aid?
I really don't think Jewel and I will ever become friends because when it comes down to it we are just too different to make it work. In my opinion John Lennon is the best Beatle and according to the survey Jewel loves George Harrison so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Because while "Here Comes The Sun" is a great song it is not in the same league as "Imagine." But who knows Jewel and I may "Come Together" because "All You Need Is Love."Editorial on 08/13/2017
Get 24/7 Access. Subscribe Now.
ACCESS. ANYTIME. ANYWHERE.
We hope you've enjoyed your preview of ArkansasOnline.com.
You've now read the maximum number of stories available without a subscription.
Subscribe now for complete and uninterrupted access to the best local, state and national news.